Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

HOME SWEET HOME

It's been a year of changes at home - including builders, decorators and estate agents.

The changes started in January - with doors being fitted to the garage, the ultimate in swish (remote control) and now no-one can tell when I don't answer the door if I'm out or just being anti-social!!

Then in April I found a house in Usk that seemed perfect, but lost it as I wasn't 'able to proceed'. Then the house next door to the original came on the market (even better than the original) - this time I offered over the asking price, but still didn't get it - I'm obviously not supposed to live in there as this now make 5 houses I've tried to buy in Usk!!

The change continues but the major decisions have been, I'm staying put and the builders are starting ASAP.

Sadly my original builder (who did the conversion and all other major works since) died suddenly at the beginning of the year. I'd known Michael since I was 10 - he converted the barn and build Oakfield Road before that. A great loss as I always felt that Michael protected me when he could. Luckily my new builders have taken on a lot of the tradesmen that worked for Michael in the old days - including several who worked on the conversion back in 1990.

They're going to replace virtually all the windows (except for the kitchen windows Mum did), they will be hardwood and double glazed - I'm dreaming of winter warmth without breaking the bank! The house will look different from the outside as they will be stained not painted and the brown mirrored strip between my bedroom floor and the dining room ceiling will be replaced with a tiled strip - like the windows on either side. It will also mean new doors on the yard side - I haven't decided what style yet.

I'm also hoping to put a wood burner in the sitting room - but can't decide on metal pipe on the roof (ugly) or fireplace in the sitting room (extremely bulky). Either way the spare room will need redecorating - what a SHAME.

When the builders have finished replacing windows I will start decorating the nursery - but probably not until next spring, I'm hesitant to start too soon as it could tempt fate - not sure Jonathan would be too happy in a pink bedroom.

1 comment:

Nesting For Natalie said...

Beautiful home, beautiful dogs!