Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, October 14, 2006

NAMES, NAMES, NAMES

Lots of people have asked about her name. These are my thoughts so far!

Whatever 'it' is will have a Christian name, then family name, Chinese name and finally surname!

Names are really important and as a teacher nearly every name has an association.

If he's a boy (unlikely but possible) then it's simple. He will be Jonathan. His family name will be Nicholas after my step-father (note to self - must check if he had an 'h', not so daft as we always called him Nick). There's no debate on boy's names!

If she's a girl then it's WAY more complicated! I promised Mum that if I ever had a daughter then she would have the second name Elizabeth - just as Mum did and I do. So I'll have to save my favourite name for my second daughter as Eliza Elizabeth just isn't fair!!

Most days she's Clara, sometimes Emilia (Milly) and occassionally she was Joanna (until I realised that would rule out Jonathan for any future son!) I also really like Alice / Alys.

As for the Chinese name it depends on what the Chinese name sounds like in English. Mostly the Chinese give symbolic names for strength but this could be weakened - depending on who named her and the SWI (Social Welfare Institution, i.e. orphanage) she comes from. I am not going to give her a name with a poor or suggestive English translation. Many babies have the name 'Bao', I'd really like this for my child as it means Treasure (Mum's maiden name) - I know it's unlikely but anything's possible!

There's alot to say about Chinese name formation - but I'll save that for another day!

Lastly (for now) all this neat theory will probably go out of the window when I see the photo or when I meet him/her!

No comments: