Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, April 24, 2008

STRIKE!

Today 1 of the British Teaching Unions (the NUT) were on strike. I belong to the NUT. They were striking about a pay increase that is less than the rate of inflation - so effectively a pay cut.

I'm on Adoption Leave, so I didn't have to make the decision about striking, or not. But it was interesting to observe that even though I'm not in school, the strike did affect me - the roads were noticably quieter this morning and our music group was only about half the usual size - as many families stayed away as they had more children at home than on a usual Thursday.

Locally the strike had an effect - some schools shut, others just shut affected classes, some ran creches and a few weren't affected.

No comments: