Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, March 16, 2008

NOT USUALLY POLITICAL

. . . but today I am.

Did you watch 'The Politics Show'? (If not, here's the link - it should work until 22nd March, it's from about 22 minutes into the programme.)

They reported on the reality of intercountry adoption from the UK. The people representing the adoption community did so really well - concise and clear without moaning or seeming to ask for sympathy (let's face it we don't want sympathy - just a straight-forward route in this country and support when dealing with the other country, A PROPER SYSTEM). The Government Minister's response was truly amazing - virtually sticking 2 fingers up to intercountry adopters, I'd like to spend 5 minutes re-educating Kevin Brennan.

There was plenty of food for thought in the programme and more than enough 'tasters' - hopefully it might tempt a documentary maker, there is so much more that needs saying. I'm glad to say that I had my say - but nothing that I hadn't already put in writing to the person in charge (not that she bothered about it any more than the minister).

I urge all of my readers to watch the programme - even if you're not in the UK you will learn about our system and then understand more fully just how much bringing each child home to the UK is an achievement.

Edited to add: let me clarify - for me the issues with the system in the UK are with the centralised process after Panel Approval, my SW and LA, even WAG have been extremely helpful and supportive, the problem is with the former Dfes that's changed to the DCFS and ultimately the attitude in Westminster.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Thanks for the link Kate.I missed the programme and watching it now.Just got to get passed David Cameron!