Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, May 02, 2008

12 MONTHS ON

2nd May 1913 - my Granny, Jean Mitchell, was born - I think at home in Yorkshire.

2nd May 2007 - my daughter was born to me.

Remembering last year (I know I blogged about it, but it's my blog and I choose to blog about it again, it was such a special time!)

Monday 30th April, first thing - no news, no rumours, not expecting much, I went out and a couple of people asked if there was any news? I told them 'No' and that I wasn't expecting any news soon. I got home at lunchtime and simultaneously refreshed Rumour Queen and rang my buddy 3CMum (who was 6 days behind me in the queue), as I asked her what the latest was I read on-screen that my day was the cut-off, I was in, probably! What a day! From nothing to everything in the blink of an eye, without the usual rumours and speculation. I wasn't sure that I'd be included at that point - my date was included, but having sent an update the previous year it could have meant that my dossier had been moved back in the queue. Cautious relief and hope. I rang the Dfes (the UK government department that handles referrals), they knew nothing.

Tuesday 1st May - school trip to Swansea, I shouldn't have been 'working' that day, it was an extra so that I was up to speed on what the children experienced. I didn't have an easy opportunity to ring the Dfes so delayed the call to the next day - when they'd be more likely to know something?

Wednesday 2nd May - in school. The Dfes only start to answer phones at 1.30pm - the time we return to the classroom! I was able to make the call, it only took a few attempts to get through (I think!) I asked if they had my referral . . . they went to check . . . they confirmed they had a referral for me . . . I asked for details . . .they went to check . . .the tears started . . . I stood there wondering if I was dreaming (had they said they had paperwork for me? Of course, otherwise why would they go to get further answers - I was panicking and delighted all at once) . . . they came back, told me a name, date of birth and province . . . I asked if 'it' was a girl . . . 'it' was!

That day I only knew - 'An Hao Ming' 15.10.06 in Yunnan. Immediately I rang C (we shared a log in date) to find out if she knew anything, she didn't I told her my news briefly then I urged her to ring and rang off quickly. I don't remember how I found out about M&C's daughter L - they found out slightly more than me - they knew that their daughter was from Kunming CWI but also in Yunnan and was only 5 days older than my baby. It took another week for me to confirm that my baby was in the same CWI as their's - a great relief and a lovely link for the future.

Then the texting began - I had wonderful news to share but only limited detail - and I managed to tell everyone the wrong birthday!!

Later in the afternoon I spoke to 'Grandad' and 3CMum and then I had to stay on after school for extra training - instead of finishing sometime after 3.30pm I had to stay until nearly 6pm. At the time that seemed a little cruel - I wanted champagne not paperwork! I don't think I benefited from that training, unsurprisingly my head and my heart were elsewhere!!

When I finally got home D and A came to celebrate and later C brought over a Chinese takeaway.

Reflecting on the events surrounding referral, I think that my memories are already 'rose tinted' - May 2007, referral confirmed brought such relief and a new set of stresses and worries. It was wonderful to learn about my match but it also brought concerns about her health, her care whilst I continued to wait and worries about arranging travel, visas, hotels, permits etc, also worries about who was caring for her, how she would transfer to my care - all sorts of worries. But in May 2008 I can enjoy the memories of referral with the knowledge of the wonderful events that were to follow - a relatively straightforward trip to China, quick and simple handover and uneventful paperwork, all I could have asked for and yet so much more in the form of an incredible child who brings so much happiness. We are so lucky.

Meanwhile - how did we celebrate today?

Me? I got quite emotional every time I started to reflect on the changes over the last year.

Alice? In typical Alice-style, vomited! She woke, screaming at 12.30am and then vomited on me. So we visited our lovely GP this morning - Alice has tonsillitis and another course of antibiotics. I popped out after lunch and T stayed with Alice, not wanting to leave T out, Alice vomited over her too. She isn't her usual self at the moment, quick to cry and not as easy going - but still obsessed with 'oranges' (satsumas)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its so weird to think of that time just a year ago. The agony..the ecstasy. It does pass so quickly.
Give me a ring one night to chat!!!!!!!!!!!